The plant and fungus collections of the Museum are based on the well-known activities of the Kuopio Naturalists' Society. Initially, many vascular plant specimens were donated to the Museum by enthusiastic nature devotees, including A.J. Mela, O.A.F. Lönnbohm, who collected material from Siberia, and Juho Pekkarinen, who was especially interested in the genus Hieracium.
The botanical collection was divided among several locations until the year 1907, when along with other natural science collections all were brought to the Museum's new building. Since 1983 the collections have been housed in the new location on Myhkyrinkatu.
In the 1970s responsibility for the collection was transferred to the city of Kuopio. The main emphasis was placed on scientific specimens. Most of the present specimens were collected by the Museum staff in the course of various research projects, but there are also specimens donated by other museums and private collectors.
The A.J. Mela Collection
The O.A.F. Lönnbohm Siberian Material
The Juho Pekkarinen Hieracium Collection
At the end of the year 2006 the collections included the following specimens:
|vascular plants||151 526||specimens |
|other fungi||20 355||"|