KUOPION NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
     

KUOPIO NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

HISTORY

 
koristeviiva
 

History

The Kuopio Natural History Museum was founded on 20 February 1897, making it the second oldest natural history museum in Finland. The Museum's collections are based on those of the Kuopio Naturalists' Society, which was established by enthusiastic naturalists and amateur collectors. After operating for years in temporary accommodations, the Museum was transferred in the year 1907 to the present Kuopio Museum building, which together with the cultural history collection and the city library, was planned by architect J.V. Strömberg. The building was enlarged in the 1950s and 1960s. During the years 1968–1972 it was completely renovated for use exclusively as a museum.




museorakennus (23K)


Kuopio Museum 1927 (photo: Paavo Nederström)




 
» mission 
 
« Home